Sunday, August 3, 2014

YLF A.K.A My favorite week of the year


   The Youth Leadership Forum VA has been my favorite week of the year for a couple years now. But let me tell why this year was extra special. 
 
    I was a YLF delegate in 2012 and my life has changed ever since that week. I no longer felt like I was the only one that had a disability. I was lucky enough for the past two years to be invited back as staff. And oh what an amazing experience it has been. 
 I get to have the chance to give students that same feeling of acceptance. This year we had a few students that didn't feel accepted at school and some of them had never even met another person with a disability. And to have them at the end of week say that they had so many new friends that understood their disability and accepted them for them was really a huge impact. I made a difference in these students lives. 

      But not only was there the acceptance factor the students made a huge growth. The same students who came in on Monday longing for their parents didn't want to leave on Friday.   
It was the same kids that told me they were nervous to present in front of the legislative panel told me they couldn't wait to present in front of the officials back home. They were now very independent individuals. On Sunday night, the staff were talking how long the week ahead of us gonna be, but  it turned out to be the most rewarding weeks of our lives. 
     To my fellow YLF staff members, You guys have become my second family . You all have inspired me to be an advocate for others. Thanks for the laughs, the tears and the love. Especially the love.  
       To the YLF class of 2014, shoot for the stars, you're gonna make it so far in life. Whether it be the goal of being a rapper or being a state trooper, I know someday each of you will make the goals you set within the last week. Remember we are always there for you. And don't forget to Persevere, Advocate, Dream, and Suceed! Here's to YLF 2015! 

No comments:

Post a Comment