Thursday, August 28, 2014

A million reasons for a cure...

   September is Hydrocephalus Awareness Month. Your first question is probably... What is hydrocephalus? Hydrocephalus is a condition in which there is an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the brain. There is no known cure for this condition, and the only treatment requires brain surgery. 
      Your second question is probably Why should I care? Well, first off.. There a million people in America alone living with this condition. I just happen to be one of them. Second, anyone at any age can develop hydrocephalus. 
        Let me tell you why this month means so much to me. After a brain scan when I was three months old, my parents learned I had this condition. Six months later, I was having brain surgery to insert insert a tube to drain this access fluid know as a shunt. From then on, my life was a big battle against the Hydro dragon. But it's never stopped me. 
        I've proven statistics wrong by having my shunt removed. But that won't stop me from raising awareness. This condition not only still affects me with what it's left behind, but I've made dozens of friends that have this condition. 
         Our normal is worrying whether a stomach bug is really shunt failure. We get just excited for shuntiversaries as we do for our birthday. 
          Some of our favorite people include neurosurgeons, therapists, and nurses. The typical for people with hydrocephalus is nowhere near the norm but that doesn't stop us. I just wish more people were aware of our normal. After all, there's a million reason to raise awareness, I just happen to be one of them.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment