Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What the Spread the Word to End the Word Campaign means to me...

     Growing up, not only was I labeled as a kid in Special Education by teachers and administrators, but my peers automatically assumed I was something less than them because I was in Special Ed. There was times when I was told you can't do that, you're in "retarded" classes. It was hurtful. I held back tears as they tried to tear me down. It made me feel like they thought I was defective. What they didn't realize is I'm just like them. I'm a daughter, I'm a sister, I'm gifted in writing, I like to hang out with my friends, but most importantly I'm a person.
       You don't even have to use the "r word" in a hurtful way. Behind your friendly face when you use that word, I know you think that people with disabilities are less than you. But we're not.

   We are human beings just like you.  People don't have the right to label you just because of your differences. Everyone has differences, but sometimes our differences stand out a little more. That doesn't mean they can’t do what you can do.  Not only do you hurt people with disabilities when you use the "r word", you hurt the ones that love them. So think before you say, and eliminate the "r word" from your vocabulary. It hurts more than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment