Sunday, August 4, 2013

Where it all began...


      I've been told for several years now to start a blog, so I've finally given in. I'm not sure exactly what I will be putting up on this site. I guess I will first start out by sharing a short version of my over all journey. When I was born, I was diagnosed with craniosynostosis meaning my skull had fused before birth. While having scans, to prepare for the correction surgery they also diagnosed me with hydrocephalus which means too much fluid on the brain. To treat hydrocephalus, they insert a shunt to drain the fluid. For three years it was non-stop surgeries and hospitalizations because shunts suck. It seemed to settle down for the most part until my eighth grade year, and I started the roller coaster of hospitalizations and surgeries once again. Before my tenth grade year,they decided to try an endoscopic third ventriculostomy to make the fluid drain without the shunt. While they were prepping for this procedure, they noticed I was draining enough fluid on my own to be able to take the shunt out. This normally does not happen with hydrocephalus patients. I totally befuddled my doctors, and I am now known as the miracle case. However we don't know if this will ever turn back on us, so for now I will live my life like there's no tomorrow. Here are a few photos from along the journey.
                                           Meeting Local Celebrities.
Taking the shunt out!

 Pressure Monitoring. 
-Emi( The Unexpected Miracle)

No comments:

Post a Comment